PASTA AND PASTA PRODUCTS:
Include macaroni, spaghetti, vermicelli, and noodles, made from semolina milled by special process from hard wheat. Pasta products manufactured by drying shaped dough without fermentation and baking,
- During boiling in water maintain shape of pasta products.
- Pasta products can be prepared into meal within very short time.
- Meal prepared by boiling in water or baking fat.
- Storage life of pasta is longer than wheat meal.
- Semolina from wheat of species. Triticum durum and Triticum aestivum.
- Other products when used need additive eg. Natural emulsifiers e.g. lecithin.
- To have the same results egg protein may be added
- Semolina made into stiff dough.
- Dough is rested then forced through die press at heavy pressure
- Extruded as tube shaped products.
Pressed dough is dried in three phases.
- 1st phase involves quickly drying to avoid sticking together of material.
- 2sec phase involves evaporation of water.
- 3rd phase involves very slow drying eliminated some percentage of water.
- Moisture content left is 13%
PACKING is done in cellophane or polythene paper and then in cartons.
Properties of good quality paste products.
- Be creamy in colour.
- Free from cracks.
- Be same what flexible.
- Fracture to appear glassy when broken.
The dried pasta products are packed in cartons and cellophane papers, good quality pasta products should be creamy in colour, free from cracks and some what flexible when broken the fracture should appear glassy.